My broad area of research is control system and its applications. The following major research works are already reported or being carried out:
1. Proposed open-loop decoupling based compensation method, which converts a MIMO control design problem into compensation of SISO units. For these SISO units, continuous-time periodic controllers are used for superior compensation of non-minimum phase MIMO plants. The class of MIMO plants for which the above decouple-based LTI control is equivalent to MIMO LTI control from H-infinity performance point of view is under investigation.
2. Employed decentralized periodic controllers to compensate MIMO systems with unstable decentralized fixed modes, where LTI decentralized controllers cannot be used. Still efforts are being made on this topic to obtain ripple-free responses.
3. (LQ or H-infinity) optimal continuous-time/discrete-time SISO/MIMO periodic controls are being designed to achieve superior performance of non-minimum phase plants. Attempts are also being made to synthesize periodic controllers for uncertain plants.
4. Used MIMO or centralized PID controls for MIMO systems. The centralized PID controllers perform much better than commonly used multi-loop or diagonal PID controllers because of having PID gains in the cross terms of the former. Some LMI based design methods of MIMO PID controllers proposed are already reported.
5. In parallel, applications of the above research works are being carried out. Some are already published. These applications range from laboratory scale benchmark systems such as inverted cart-pendulum, magnetic levitation, twin rotor mimo system, quadruple tank system etc to large scale systems such as missile autopilot, fusion tokamak etc.
Open-loop decoupling of MIMO plants by A. Ghosh, S.K. Das IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 54 1977-1981 (2009)
Periodic compensation of a class of decentralized systems with fixed modes by A. Ghosh, S.K. Das Automatica 46 1563-1567 (2010)
Decentralized simultaneous stabilization of a class of two MIMO systems using a continuous-time periodic controller by A. Ghosh Automatica 49 1515-1520 (2013)
Multi-input and multi-output proportional-integral-derivative controller design via linear quadratic regulator-linear matrix inequality approach by J. K. Pradhan, A. Ghosh IET Control Theory and Applications 9 2140-2145 (2015)
Robust propotional-integral-derivative compensation of an inverted cart-pendulum system: an experimental study by A. Ghosh, T.R. Krishnan, B. Subudhi IET Control Theory and Applications 6 1145-1152 (2012)
Design and implementation of decoupled compensation for a twin rotor multiple-input and multiple-output system by J. K. Pradhan, A. Ghosh IET Control Theory and Applications 7 282-289 (2013)
Design and implementation of a 2-DOF PID compensation for magnetic levitation systems by A. Ghosh, T.R. Krishnan, P. Tejaswy, A. Mandal, J.K.Pradhan, S. Ranasingh ISA Transactions 53 1216-1222 (2014)
Small-signal modeling and multivariable PI control design of VSC-HVDC transmission link by Pradhan J. K., Ghosh A. , Bhende C. Electric Power Systems Research 144 115-126 (2017)
Decoupled periodic compensation for multi-channel output gain margin improvement of continuous-time MIMO plants by A. Ghosh, S.K. Das IET Control Theory and Applications 6 1735-1740 (2012)
Deshmukh Ankit Ravindra
Area of Research: MIMO Periodic Control
Area of Research: Periodic/multi-rate control of discrete-time MIMO systems
Area of Research: Multivariable control of high angle-of-attack missiles