The world is striving for clean and efficient forms of energy due to various factors like – increase in global energy demand, limited fossil-fuel resources and global warming. The commercialization has evolved through portable batteries for laptops, mobile phones, working tools to hybrid electric vehicles, plug-in hybrids and complete electric vehicles. Li-ion batteries has to be the energy storage technology when it comes to mobile applications.
Scarcity of lithium resource and the increased demand for it is initiating research in alternate battery technologies. Na-ion batteries are gaining research momentum due to their much better abundance in the Earth’s crust in comparison to lithium.
Regardless of the application, the discovery and optimization of high performance materials are critical to future breakthroughs for next-generation rechargeable batteries. For this, new classes of compounds should be explored and electrochemically characterized for gaining a better understanding of functional materials for battery research. This would be the focus of my research group in the coming future.
Anodic Decomposition of Trimethylboroxine as Additive for High voltage Li-ion batteries, , J. Electrochem. Soc., 161(14), A2255-A2261 (2014) by A. Freiberg, M. Metzger, D. Haering, S. Bretzke, P. Sreeraj, T. Nilges, C. Stinner, C. Marino, H. A. Gasteiger J. Electrochem. Soc., 161(14) A2255-A2261 (2014)
7. Li-NMR Spektroskopie an Kristallinem Li12Si7: zur Aromatizität planarer, Cyclopentadienyl-analoger Si56-Ringe by A. Kuhn, P. Sreeraj, R. Pöttgen, H.-D. Wiemhöfer, M. Wilkening, P. Heitjans Angew. Chem 123(50) 12305- 12308 (2011)
6. Li ion diffusion in the anode material Li12Si7: Ultrafast Quasi-1D diffusion and two distinct fast 3D jump processes separately revealed by 7Li NMR relaxometry by A. Kuhn, P. Sreeraj, R. Pöttgen, H.-D. Wiemhöfer, M. Wilkening, P. Heitjans J. Am. Chem. Soc 133 11018-11021 (2011)
8. Li-NMR Spectroscopy on Crystalline Li12Si7: Experimental Evidence for the Aromaticity of the Planar Cyclopentadienyl-Analogous Si56-Rings by A. Kuhn, P. Sreeraj, R. Pöttgen, H.-D. Wiemhöfer, M. Wilkening, P. Heitjans Angew. Chem .Intl. Ed 50 12099-12102 (2011)
10. Lithium-Transition Metal-Tetrelides - Structure and Lithium Mobility by R. Pöttgen, T. Dinges, H. Eckert, P. Sreeraj, H.-D. Wiemhöfer Z. Phys. Chem 224(10-12) 1475-1504 (2010)
9. Electrochemical investigations of Li2AuSn2 by P. Sreeraj, N. A. Kaskhedikar, H.-D. Wiemhöfer, J. Maier, R. Pöttgen Solid State Ionics 181(1-2) 59-63 (2010)
15. Structure and bonding of Li1.42(5)Pd2Sn5.58(5): A Lithium Intercalated Palladium Stannide by P. Sreeraj, Zh. Wu, R.D. Hoffmann, U. Häussermann, R. Pöttgen Chem. Mater 17 (4) 911-915 (2005)
14. The Stannide LiRh3Sn5 Synthesis, Structure, and Chemical Bonding by . Sreeraj, D. Johrendt, H. Müller, R.D. Hoffmann, Zh. Wu, R. Pöttgen, Z. Naturforsch 60b 933-939 (2005)
12. Neutron diffraction and Electrochemical studies on LiIrSn4 by P. Sreeraj, H.D. Wiemhöfer, R.D. Hoffmann, R. Skowronek, A. Kirfel, R. Pöttgen J. Solid State Chem 179(2) 355-361 (2006)
4. Insight into the Li ion dynamics in Li12Si7: Combining field gradient NMR, 1D/2D MAS NMR and relaxometry by A. Kuhn, S. Dupke, M. Kunze, K. Volgmann, P. Sreeraj, T. Langer, R. Poettgen, M. Winter, H.-D. Wiemhöfer, H. Eckert, P. Heitjans J. Phys. Chem. C 118 28350-28360 (2014)
Aqueous and Non-Aqueous Symmetric Na-ion Battery for Energy Storage Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB)
Design of High Power Rated Battery Packs for Electric Vehicles with Effective Thermal and Stress Management Strategies for Enhanced Safety and Performance (ICG_2017) IIT KHARAGPUR
Hierarchically Nanostructured Energy Materials for Next Generation Na-Ion Based Energy Storage Technologies & Their Use in Renewable Energy Systems Department of Science and Technology(DST)
Hybrid Sodium - ion Cell/Super Capacitor Packs for Light Electric Vehicles Ministry of Road Transport and Highways Transport Bhawan
Opened & Intelligent Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) Technologies for Smart Indian Cities (UAY_I_IITKGP_019) Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises, GoI
Area of Research: Energy storage
Area of Research: Diagnostics and Prognostics of Battery Systems
Area of Research: Nanomaterials and supercapacitors
Area of Research: Electrochemical energy storage
Area of Research: Na-ion battery electrodes
Area of Research: Hybrid systems
Area of Research: CO2 conversion & sensing
Area of Research: Nanomaterials in energy storage.
Area of Research: Computational and experimental study on energy materials