I am a dedicated researcher on physical and mechanical metallurgy of Steel and my interest areas can be classified into the following broad categories:
(1) Development of microstructure and texture in steel during thermo-mechanical processing.
(2) Studying the effect of microstructure and texture on mechanical properties of steel: especially ductile-to-brittle transition behaviour and low-temperature toughness.
(3) Development of steel grades having high strength and high toughness.
(4) Characterization of macro- and micro-segregation in continuous cast slab and studying their effect on slab-reheating, rolling and final mechanical properties.
(5) Developing novel grain structures in low-carbon (ferritic) steels, such as, ultra-fine grain structure or bimodal grain structures, and evaluating their effect on the mechanical properties (primarily tensile properties and toughness).
(6) Understanding the role of so-called harmful inclusions, such as, TiN and MnS and precipitates in generating ductile and brittle fracture in steel and improving the mechanical properties in spite of the presence of large inclusions, by controlling the microstructure (through careful processing and heat-treatment).
(7) Studying the formation of various microalloy precipitates, such as, Nb(C,N), V(C,N), (Ti, Mo)C during hot-rolling, thermo-mechanical controlled rolling and also cold-rolling and annealing treatments of HSLA steels and evaluating the effect of those precipitates on the microstructure, texture and mechanical properties.
(8) Defect initiation and its control in metals and alloys.
Cold-bending of linepipe steel plate to pipe, detrimental or beneficial? by Mandal A., Badirujjaman S. , Bhandari K. , Bhattacharya B. , Deb A. , Singh S. B., Chakrabarti D. Materials Science and Engineering A 746 58-72 (2019)
Ferrite Grain Refinement, Grain Size Distribution, and Texture After Thermomechanical Processing and Continuous Cooling of Low-C Steel by Patra S., Mandal A. , Mandal M. , Kumar V. , Mitra R. , Chakrabarti D. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 50 947-965 (2019)
Influence of microstructure and strain rate on the strain partitioning behaviour of dual phase steels by Das A., Tarafder S. , Sivaprasad S. , Chakrabarti D. Materials Science and Engineering A 754 348-360 (2019)
An experimental and mathematical study on the evolution of ultrafine ferrite structure during isothermal deformation of metastable austenite by Mandal M., Patra S. , Anand K. A., Chakrabarti D. Materials Science and Engineering A 731 423-437 (2018)
Effect of Alloying and Coiling Temperature on the Microstructure and Bending Performance of Ultra-High-Strength Strip Steel by Mandal A., Karmakar A. , Chakrabarti D. , Davis C. L. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 49 6359-6374 (2018)
Dry rolling/sliding wear behaviour of pearlitic rail and newly developed carbide-free bainitic rail steels by Hasan S. M., Chakrabarti D. , Singh S. B. Wear 408-409 151-159 (2018)
Relative effect of C and Mn on strength-toughness of medium Mn steels by Bhattacharyya A., Bokinala P. K., Mitra R. , Chakrabarti D. Materials Scinece and Technology 35 55-67 (2019)
Processing of Ultrafine-Grained Steels by Warm Rolling and Annealing by Bhattacharya A., Karmakar A. , Karani A. , Ghosh M. , Chakrabarti D. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance 28 753-768 (2019)
Work hardening behaviour and damage mechanisms in carbide-free bainitic steel during uni-axial tensile deformation by Hasan S. M., Mandal A. , Singh S. B., Chakrabarti D. Materials Science and Engineering A 751 142-153 (2019)
Beam oscillation, porosity formation and fatigue properties of electron beam welded Ti-6Al-4V alloy by Kar J., Chakrabarti D. , Roy S. K., Roy G. G. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 1-7 (2018)
Mechanical Testing of Materials VARIOUS PRIVATE/GOVERNMENT ORGANISATIONS
Understanding the Effect of Steel Composition on the Charpy Impact Toughness of High-Strength (1000Mpa) Naval Grade Steel Naval Research Board (NRB)
Evaluation of Fracture and Fatique Crack Growth (FCG) Behaviour of SS304HCu Weld Material National Mission Project on Advanced Ultra Supercritical Technology, IGCAR
Evaluation of Fracture and Fatigue Crack Growth (FCG) for IN625 Cast Material National Mission Project on Advanced Ultra Supercritical Technology, IGCAR
Alloy Segregation in Baron added 9Cr-1Mo Steel Under Different Thermal and Thermo-mechanical Condition BRNS, DAE, MUMBAI
Charge for XRD and FESEM at DHI CoE AMT Various Government and Non-Government Organisations
Development of High Performance Materials for Various Defence Related Applications Directorate of extramural research & intellectual property rights (ER&IPR), DRDO
Research Services for Studying and Analysing the Phenomenon of Segregation in T-72/T-90 PYT Barrels METAL AND STEEL FACTORY
Non Metallic Inclusions (NMI) and its Control, New Steel Products through Energy Efficient EAF at HEC Department of Heavy Industries (DHI)
Microalloyed Bainitic Steels with High Strength, Toughness and Fatigue Resistance for Auto Components Department of Heavy Industries (DHI)
Evaluation of Creep Crack Growth (CCG) Behaviour of SS 304HCu Weld Material National Mission Project on Advanced Ultra Supercritical Technology, IGCAR
Evaluation of Creep Crack Growth (CCG) Behaviour for IN625 Cast Material National Mission Project on Advanced Ultra Supercritical Technology, IGCAR
Development of Rotary Hearth Furnace Technology for Treating Off Grade Iron Ore Fines of Indian Origin Including Magnetite Ore (UAY_I_IITKGP_018) MHRD
Sk. Md. Hasan
Area of Research: Structure-property correlation in ultra high strength bainitic steels
Murugesan A P
Area of Research: Influence of thermo-mechanical processing on the microstructure and texture of microalloyed steels
Md Basiruddin Sk
Area of Research: Microstructure-toughness relationship in Steel
Area of Research: Local deformation and fracture of high-strength strip steel containing bainite and martensite
Area of Research: Effect of microstructure and texture on fatigue crack initiation and propagation in low-carbon steel
Area of Research: Microstructure, texture, mechanical property relationship in high-carbon steel
Khilesh Kumar Bhandari
Area of Research: Effect of local microstructure on the mechanical properties of steel
N Surya Prakash
Area of Research: Steel in biomedical application
Area of Research: Development of high strength - higth toughness steels for strategic applictaions
Area of Research: Study on Impact toughness and anisotropy in toughness of high strength steel
Area of Research: Electron Beam Welding
Rakesh Kumar Barik
Area of Research: The temperature and strain-rate sensitivity of the mechanical behaviour of ferritic steel
Area of Research: Study on the impact toughness and fracture toughness of high-strength steels
Bhosale Shubham Dinkar
Area of Research: Microstructural evolution at the crack-tip in a metallic system
Area of Research: Fatigue crack propagation in high temperature materials
Area of Research: Microstructure-toughness relationship in High Strength Bainitic Steel