I am a dedicated researcher on physical and mechanical metallurgy of Steel and my interest areas can be classified into the following broad categories:
(1) Development of microstructure and texture in steel during thermo-mechanical processing.
(2) Studying the effect of microstructure and texture on mechanical properties of steel: especially ductile-to-brittle transition behaviour and low-temperature toughness.
(3) Development of steel grades having high strength and high toughness.
(4) Characterization of macro- and micro-segregation in continuous cast slab and studying their effect on slab-reheating, rolling and final mechanical properties.
(5) Developing novel grain structures in low-carbon (ferritic) steels, such as, ultra-fine grain structure or bimodal grain structures, and evaluating their effect on the mechanical properties (primarily tensile properties and toughness).
(6) Understanding the role of so-called harmful inclusions, such as, TiN and MnS and precipitates in generating ductile and brittle fracture in steel and improving the mechanical properties in spite of the presence of large inclusions, by controlling the microstructure (through careful processing and heat-treatment).
(7) Studying the formation of various microalloy precipitates, such as, Nb(C,N), V(C,N), (Ti, Mo)C during hot-rolling, thermo-mechanical controlled rolling and also cold-rolling and annealing treatments of HSLA steels and evaluating the effect of those precipitates on the microstructure, texture and mechanical properties.
(8) Defect initiation and its control in metals and alloys.
Effect of Local Crystallographic Texture on the Fissure Formation During Charpy Impact Testing of Low-Carbon Steel by Ghosh A., Patra S. , Chatterjee A. , Chakrabarti D. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A Vol. 47 2755-2772 (2016)
Deformation induced austenite formation in as-cast 2101 duplex stainless steel and its effect on hot-ductility by Patra S., Ghosh A. , Kumar V. , Chakrabarti D. Materials Science & Engineering A 660 61-70 (2016)
Effect of coarse grain band on the ridging severity of 409L ferritic stainless steel by Patra S., Ghosh . , Sood J. , Singhal L. K., Podder A. S., Chakrabarti D. Materials and Design 106 336- (2016)
Effect of Cooling Rate and Chemical Composition on Microstructure and Properties of Naturally Cooled Vanadium-Microalloyed Steels by Karmakar A., Sahu P. , Neogy S. , Chakrabarti D. , Mitra R. , Mukherjee S. , Kundu S. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 48 1581-1595 (2017)
Effect of Carbon Distribution During the Microstructure Evolution of Dual-Phase Steels Studied Using Cellular Automata, Genetic Algorithms, and Experimental Strategies by Halder C., Karmakar A. , Hasan S. M., Chakrabarti D. , Pietrzyk M. , Chakraborti N. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 47 5890- (2016)
Effect of Microalloy Precipitates on the Microstructure and Texture of Hot-Deformed Modified 9Cr-1Mo Steel by Chatterjee A., Dutta A. , Sk M. B., Mitra R. , Bhaduri A. K., Chakrabarti D. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 48 2410-2424 (2017)
Alloy Segregation in Baron added 9Cr-1Mo Steel Under Different Thermal and Thermo-mechanical Condition BRNS, DAE, MUMBAI
Development of Rotary Hearth Furnace Technology for Treating Off Grade Iron Ore Fines of Indian Origin Including Magnetite Ore MHRD
Evaluation of Creep Crack Growth (CCG) Behaviour for IN625 Cast Material National Mission Project on Advanced Ultra Supercritical Technology, IGCAR
Evaluation of Creep Crack Growth (CCG) Behaviour of SS 304HCu Weld Material National Mission Project on Advanced Ultra Supercritical Technology, IGCAR
Evaluation of Fracture and Fatigue Crack Growth (FCG) for IN625 Cast Material National Mission Project on Advanced Ultra Supercritical Technology, IGCAR
Evaluation of Fracture and Fatique Crack Growth (FCG) Behaviour of SS304HCu Weld Material National Mission Project on Advanced Ultra Supercritical Technology, IGCAR
Improving the Impact Toughness of High Strength Linepipe Steel from Tata Steel DR. Saurabh Kundu, Head
Improving the impact transition behavior of high strength naval selects by refining the effective grain size of matrix microstructure NAVAL RESEARCH BOARD, DIRECTORATE OF NAVAL R&D, DRDO
Manufacturing of Shells for Field Guns with Improved Design and Performance (Project ID.:6596) MHRD
Setting Up High-End Testing Facilities of Materials for Biomaterials, Aerospace and Automotive Applications (SGDRI-2015) IIT KHARAGPUR
Understanding EB welding of Copper-Chromium-Ziroconium alloy through real experiments and data analysis using soft computing BRNS, DAE, MUMBAI
Area of Research: Deformation behaviour of automotive steels at high strain-rate
Sk. Md. Hasan
Area of Research: Structure-property correlation in ultra high strength bainitic steels
Area of Research: Process induced microstructural variation towards improved ductile brittle transition temperature of 9Cr-Mo steel
Area of Research: Effect of processing schedule on the microstructure, texture and mechanical properties of low-Ni stainless steel
Murugesan A P
Area of Research: Influence of thermo-mechanical processing on the microstructure and texture of microalloyed steels
Md Basiruddin Sk
Area of Research: Microstructure-toughness relationship in Steel
Area of Research: Local deformation and fracture of high-strength strip steel containing bainite and martensite
Area of Research: Effect of microstructure and texture on fatigue crack initiation and propagation in low-carbon steel
Area of Research: Microstructure, texture, mechanical property relationship in high-carbon steel
Khilesh Kumar Bhandari
Area of Research: Effect of local microstructure on the mechanical properties of steel
N Surya Prakash
Area of Research: Steel in biomedical application
Area of Research: Development of high strength - higth toughness steels for strategic applictaions
Area of Research: Study on Impact toughness and anisotropy in toughness of high strength steel
Area of Research: Effect of processing on microstructure, precipitation and mechanical properties of microalloyed steels.