The roots of the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences were laid during the very inception of IIT Kharagpur. The Department was set up with the prime objective of providing a value-based liberal education to budding scientists and engineers. Being one of the first departments to be set up when IIT Kharagpur came into existence in 1951, it houses many disciplines including Human Resource Management, Communication Studies, English Language & Literature, Economics, Psychology, Philosophy, Sociology, German. HSS emerged as a significant player in the field of Human Resource Management in the country and has also engaged in consultancy and management development activities. The Department of Humanities and Social Sciences at IIT Kharagpur had been offering an MTech. program in Human Resource Development & Management since 1982. With the prime objective to meet the demands of a continuously evolving business scenario, in 2010 the Department restructured the M. Tech. program into Master of Human Resource Management (MHRM)
MHRM offers a diversified industry-oriented curriculum delivered by dedicated faculty, industrial exposure through guest lectures, challenging internships in both the public and private sectors, stimulating live projects complemented by a strong tradition of wide-based alumni support. The program blends technical expertise with managerial acumen to produce business leaders, strategists, and managers with a commitment to serve the society. The rigorous academic syllabus is matched with an equal emphasis on co-curricular activities and team-work in various societies, clubs and committees on campus. A distinctive feature of MHRM is the emphasis on analytical skills and quantitative aptitude that commensurate with top-tier management programs worldwide. In short, it is educational enhancement at its very best.
Master of Human Resource Management (MHRM) is the flagship postgraduate program of The Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur. It is a 2-year (spanning over four semesters) full-time residential program offered by the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur at HSS.
Minimum Academic Eligibility Criteria
Candidates seeking admission to the MHRM Programme of the Institute should have Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology or a Master's degree with the following criteria:
- A candidate must have any of the following: a. A Bachelor's degree of minimum 4-year duration in engineering, technology, pharmacy, medicine, or similar disciplines; OR Master's degree in any subject
- GE/NC-OBC: Minimum of 60% marks (or CGPA of 6.5 on a 10-point scale)
- SC/ST/PwD: Minimum of 55% marks (or CGPA of 6.0 on a 10-point scale)
- For or both the above cases, if the CGPA is on a different scale than 10.0, the eligibility of the candidates will be calculated corresponding to the equivalence stated above
- CGPA will not be converted into percentage marks if the degree awarding institute provides marks in the CGPA system. Their admission will be based on CGPA awarded in the transcript
- Selection of students currently in the final year will be provisional, subject to the condition that all parts of the examination must be completed in all respects before the date of joining the Institute, and the mark sheet/certificate is to be submitted latest by October 31, 2022
- Admission to reserved category candidates will be as per Government of India rules
The selection of candidates for admission to the 2022-24 batch of MHRM at Department of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS), IIT Kharagpur is a two-step process. Shortlisting based on CAT scores and academic profile, followed by PI (Personal Interview). Final admission to MHRM program is offered on the basis of a cumulative score and the candidate's performance in online PI process.
- Step 1: Appear for CAT- 2021.
- Step 2: Complete online application form before 7th of February by visiting the link http://www.iitkgp.ac.in/mhrm
- Step 3: Pay registration fees online through debit/credit card or net banking.
- Step 4: After final submission of the online application, candidate will be able to generate a copy of their application with their specific details/data. The printed copy of the application may be retained by the candidate for future requirements.
The admission and tuition fees per semester are Rs.75,000/- excluding hostel, mess, and establishment charges. SC/ST/PWD candidates are exempted from tuition fees
The selection of candidates for admission to the 2022-2024 batch of MHRM, IIT Kharagpur is a two-step process. First, the candidates who have applied successfully to the program are shortlisted for a Personal Interview (Online-PI). Secondly, the candidates who have been selected through the Online-PI process are offered final admission to MHRM based on a cumulative performance score.
Please note that, due to COVID-19, PI for shortlisted candidates will be conducted online as per the following schedule:
|Admission Process||Tentative Dates|
|Beginning of online submission of application form||The first week of January (Tentative)|
|Last Date of Online Application Form||7th February 2022, 11:59 pm (Monday)|
|Online Personal Interview||2nd Week of March|
|Declaration of Admission Results||29th April to 04th May 2022|
Any dispute concerning Admission to the MHRM batch 2022-24 would be subject to the jurisdiction of the competent courts within the territorial jurisdiction of the city of Kolkata only.